- 3,710 views
- 5K 8K Ankle Blues Bondiband Brooks Launch Chicago Marathon Chocolate milk Coconut water Common cold costume Dailymile diet Discipline Eating Feast of All Saints Fleet Feet Football Garmin GU guitar Hair bows halfmarathon Half marathon Health heat Hip flexors Holidays homeschool Lent Life long run Marathon miles Mississippi Mississippi Blues Marathon New Orleans Night Gear Night Running nutrition pace Peanut butter Penguin Photography Poker Run pray prayer Pub Run Races Road running Rock Band Running shoes St. Jude St. Jude Children's Research Hospital St. Paddy Steve Jobs suffering Team Sparkle Thanksgiving trail training Way of St. James weenie dog Weight loss Wordless Wednesday Zico
Tag Archives: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
1. Saturday I will run twelve miles for the first time! We will run twelve miles for our long run for the next two weeks and then taper our miles as we get close to the half-marathon. I will be honest I never thought I would run one mile much less twelve or better! So the rest of the schedule is six-mile runs two times a week and one forty-five minute run and twelve miles on Saturdays for two weeks and then taper.
2. My biggest concern about the half-marathon is getting there! We ended up with a hotel ten miles from downtown and I am afraid the traffic and parking will be a pain! I am still trying to convince some of my older sons to come along and be our “race crew”!. It would be nice to just be dropped off at the start line. So if anyone has any advice about the St. Jude marathon in Memphis and the best way of navigating it please let me know!
4. I am losing weight and my pace is picking up slowly but surely. My purpose in sharing pounds and paces is to hopefully encourage others. Since I started running in January 2011 I have lost twenty-four pounds and still need to lose another nineteen! I was that overweight when I started! I have never been athletic and I could not run for thirty seconds. So please believe me when I say that bit by bit you can learn to run for long distances! Just start and be determined! Talk to your doctor first!
5. My weight loss has created a need for a new wardrobe! Actually hubby and I both are in desperate need to go clothes shopping! Hopefully I can take care of that this weekend!
Last Saturday I ran 8 miles for the first time! I managed to average a 12:50 pace which means I ran for 1 hour and 45 minutes straight! That is crazy but it was awesome! The cooler temperature helped but I am also getting stronger and faster. I guess that makes me a faster penguin!
Naturally longer runs need mid run fuel to replenish glucose and electrolytes so I have started using GU gels. It can be a little challenging slurping down a thick jelly like substance and then chasing it down with water while running, not to mention opening the packet with sweaty hands! Yet, it seems to be the easiest option for now and it definitely helped me on last Saturday’s run. GU gels also come in several flavors, but my GU of choice is Lemon Sublime!
So, miles are increasing and the weeks are decreasing! Only 8 weeks left until my very first half marathon which will be on December 3rd for St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis! That is not very much time! I have a lot of miles to cover and hopefully I will reach a faster pace by then. My hubby is ready now! He could easily run a half marathon today and at a pretty good pace, but I need all the time and training that I can get! It also helps to have friends in high places too! 😉